Skip to main content

Preliminary Task Evaluation


Evaluation of Short Music Video – Hashim Shah

In my music video, I have accidentally filmed one of my shots in portrait mode instead of landscape mode. The implications of this is that there are two black bars on either side of the video footage. I have edited the footage so that the black bars are filled with an enlarged duplicate of the enlarged video. This fills in the space of the black bars and makes the video more intuitive, as it gives the viewer more to look at.

In the music video I have also got some flicker shots, which show a brief 0.1 second shot of the video in inverted colours. I could have made the flicker shorter and included more of them to make them stand out more. In addition to this, the flickers are aligned with certain beats in the song which make them stand out more.

I filmed this particular music video on an iPhone 7 in 1080p at 30 frames per second. With the exception of the slow-motion shots, which were filmed in 720p at 240 frames per second. For ease of use, the iPhone was great to film on as it was extremely easy to switch between slow-motion and normal video recording. 

Video footage is easily able to be trimmed in the camera roll app on iPhone, however for this short music video, I used iMovie. The iMovie editing experience was incredible as it has many different transitions and effects to choose from. Video is easily able to be trimmed, moved around, footage is easily to be split, reversed, sped up, slowed down etc.

Some of my shots are filmed in the dark, which made them quite difficult to see when it was transferred to iMovie. However, iMovie allowed me to brighten my video footage accordingly. It was easy to brighten my video forage as there is a vast selection of filters which makes it extremely simple to choose which one to use and apply it to the whole video or certain sections which need brightening/darkening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First draft media music video

This is the first draft of my media music video. I have used the majority of my shots in the first draft, however a few have been left out due to complications with editing software. In the second draft a few more shots will be used in the video along with some special effects. Complex transitions have been used in my first draft - e.g, blur, fade, dissolve, reverse, fast and slow motion effects The second draft of my music video, will involve removing certain shots after careful consideration. I believe that some shots do not fit in with the dark and serious theme of my music video, therefore tarnishing the overall look and feel of the video. The overall order of my music video will stay the same, with the majority of the transitions and special effects being the same.

editing

Brief overview of filming: I filmed my media music video in 1080p at 60 frames per second on an iPhone 7. Editing Process: As I filmed my music video on an apple phone, it would be incredibly easy for me to edit on an apple computer also. I transferred the array of video clips to my MacBook, and then dragged them into iMovie. I then put all my clips on the timeline and began to trim away and take out clips that were unnecessary, e.g. scenes which I had filmed more than once to get the perfect take. After I took away the majority of the surplus clips - I then took away even more to get my video to approximately 2 minutes and thirty sections. I knew the requirement for the music video was 3 minutes, so therefore i factored in that my special effects, transitions and slow motion shots will add time in my video. I next began to add in transitions in between scenes along with some slow motion and fast forward effects to some select shots. Once this was done I added in the soundt

Shot List Music Video

Shot List Tracking shots - Forward Tracking shots - Backward Sliding shots - Left to right Sliding shots - Right to left Slow motion shots Blurred shots Wide angle shots Zoomed out shots Side angle shots - Left Side angle shots  - Right Close up shots